1. Pavakka- 1no,cut into thin, medium long pieces
2. Thenga kothu (thinly sliced coconut pieces)-2tbsp
3. Pearl onions –6nos,sliced
4. Green chilly-2nos,cut length wise
5. Curry leaves-2sprig
6. Mustard seeds-1/4 tsp
8. Tamarind-1 small lemon sized ball
9. Grated coconut-3/4 cup
10. Coriander powder-2 tbsp
11. Chilly powder-1 tbsp
12. Turmeric powder-1/2tsp
13. Fenugreek seeds-2pinch
14. Garlic pods-3nos,
METHOD OF PREPARATION
1. Soak tamarind in ½ cup of water and some salt.
2. Heat a pan, add grated coconut ,fenugreek seeds and garlic pods. Stir continuously until the coconut turns brown and crispy.
3. Reduce the flame, add all the powders in and stir for 2min.swith off the flame. let it cool down.
4. Grind this in a mixer grinder.first grind it without adding water. check in between. If the coconut is well roasted, you can see oil oozing out of it .at this stage add around 3tbsp of water,again grind into a fine paste. Keep it aside
5. Heat oil in a pan. Splutter mustard seeds. Add curry leaves and thenga kothu(coconut pieces)stir till the coconut pieces turn light brown color.
6.Add green chilly, pearl onions,bitter gourd sauté until the pavakka pieces turned into pale colour.
7.Add roasted coconut paste into this, mix well.
8.sqeeze out the tamarind juice add into the curry. Along with that add ¾ cup of water and enough salt.
9. keep the lid on ,let it boil until the gravy becomes thick.
Notes:do not use tender coconut for making theeyal. Use coconut oil for the right flavor.