This is a hassle free recipe as it requires no pre soaking of fruits, no hard beating of eggs, sugar or butter and more over you don’t need to bring your ingredients to room temperature!! but the result is awesome. Why don’t you try this super easy, delicious cake on this X’mas..
Recipe is adapted from here
1. All purpose flour(maida)-150gm(around 1 ¼ cup)
2. Baking powder-1 ¾ tsp
3. Salt-less than ¼ tsp
4. Brown sugar or granulated white sugar-150gm( around 1 1/3 cup)(refer notes)
6. Chopped dry fruits and nuts- 1 ½ cup to 2 cups (I used dates,kismis,cashew nuts and almonds)
8. Mixed spice-1tsp (see notes)
9. Chopped orange peel-3 tsp
Method of preparation
1. Sift flour, baking powder and salt together.
2. Take dry fruits and chopped orange peel in a sauce pan. Add enough water to cover the fruits. Bring it to boil and keep in low flame for 5 minutes. Drain the water.
3. When the cooked fruits are still hot, add the butter .Give a nice stir and allow it to melt.
4. Add lightly beaten eggs ,sifted flour, sugar, mixed spice into this. Mix well without forming lumps. It is always better to add flour in different batches for getting lump free batter.
5. Pour into prepared 8” inch cake tin and bake at 180 degree for 1 hour or till the inserted knife comes out clean.
1. If you are using normal sugar, it is better to make caramel for getting dark color cake though it is purely optional. For this, heat ½ cup of sugar(from the mentioned amount) in a saucepan .When it is completely melted and turned brown switch off the flame, carefully add ¼ cup of water. Heat again until sugar crystals completely dissolves. This is the caramel. Add this into the cake mixture once it has cooled.
2. Mixed spice can be made by pounding a small piece of cinnamon, a clove, a small piece of nutmeg and a small piece of dry ginger.