I never knew appam can be made without coconut and the boring process of “kappi kachal”. When my friend Rose mary shared this recipe I wanted to give it a try and to my surprise it turned out beautifully. Thank you dear for this super recipe.
1. Raw rice(pachari)-2glass
2. Urad dal-1tbsp
3. Potato-half of 1 medium sized (cubed)
4. Cooked rice-1 hand full or aval(rice flakes) soaked in water for 30 minutes
Method of preparation
1. Wash rice and urad dal three times. Soak both together for 3-4 hours.
2. Grind all the ingredients except salt, in to a smooth batter by adding enough water. Keep it over night for fermentation.
3. When it is fermented, add salt and mix well. Heat a appachatty.Pour a ladle full of batter. Gently swirl the pan in order to spread the batter. Close with a lid. Let it cook in medium flame. When it is cooked the sides will get detached from the pan easily. Serve hot with stew ,kadala curry ..