Boli is a sweet thin crepe made with channa dal and maida.In Kerala boli is usually eaten with Palpayasam(it is another Kerala delicacy).wow !! I don’t know how to express my love towards this sweet combo in words. Yes it is such a heavenly sweet. If you have never tasted this then I would say you must eat it .The boli which we used to get in Karnataka and Tamil nadu is bit thick and is applied with lots of ghee but the one which is available in Kerala is thin and bit dry though..i prefer the latter. Here I have given the recipe of thin variety.
1. Chana dal(kadalaparippu)-1 ½ cup
2. Sugar-1 cup
4. Cardamom powder-1/2tsp
5. Gingely oil-1/4cup
6. Rice flour-2cups
8. Yellow food color-a pinch
Method of preparation
1. Cook channa dal by adding enough water. I cooked it in a pressure cooker.
2. Once cooked add sugar and yellow food color (if any water remains drain the water before adding sugar).And continue to keep in stove until sugar melts and dal sugar mix thickened to form dough like consistency. Lastly add cardamom powder and give a nice mix. Switch off the stove and let it cool. Grind this into smooth paste.
3. Mean time mix maida, yellow color and knead into a smooth dough by adding enough water. Pour gingely oil over top of the kneaded dough and keep aside for 15 minutes.
4. Now take a lemon sized ball from the dal mix and gooseberry sized ball from the maida dough. Sprinkle rice flour on your work space to prevent the boli from sticking while rolling.slighly flatten the maida dough. Keep the dal ball inside. Bring the edges of maida dough into the centre and fold to cover the dal ball. Carefully flatten it into thin crepes .sprinkle rice flour in between to prevent it from sticking while rolling.(Alternate method-take a butter patter keep the prepared balls inside. cover with another piece of paper. Flatten it and carefully remove the paper. This process makes the rolling job much easier)
5. Cook in a heated tawa .when one side is cooked flip it over and cook until small brown spots appear on both sides. Do not overcook as it will turn the boli crisp. Apply ghee in between.
|channa dal kept for cooking by adding enough water.|
|channa dal was cooked|
|sugar started to melt.|
|nicely cooked and thickened.|
|channa dal ball was kept inside slightly flattened maida ball.|
|edges are sealed to keep the dal ball inside|
|sprinkled with rice flour and flattened|