Mhmmmmmm drooling drooling !!!!!!! nostalgic food of all malayalees……
KAPPA VEVICHATHU/KAPPA PUZHUKKU
2. Grated coconut-1 ½ cup
4. Cumin powder-3/4tsp
5. Turmeric powder-3/4tsp
6. Green chilly- 4nos
7. Pearl onion-4nos(if you are using onion, use half of one)
8. Curry leaves-2 sprigs
9. Dry red chilly-2nos
10. Coconut oil-1tbsp
Method of preparation
1. Peel off kappa(remove both brown and thick pink skin).wash 3 or 4 times.cut into medium sized chunks.Cook with plenty of water and salt.when it becomes soft drain the water and keep aside.
2. First grind ingredients 2 -7 then add grated coconut, coarsely grind all ingredients.
3. Mixing of tapioca with grinded coconut can be done in two ways
Method 1 :heat 1tbsp of coconut oil in a pan, splutter 1/4tsp of mustard seeds, add curry leaves, red chilly, add coconut mix into this, add some salt, stir for 5 min .lastly add the cooked kappa ,mix well, mash it using a heavy spoon.
Method 2: keep the cooked kappa in a very low flame. Make a space in the center by pushing the tapioca towards the sides. Keep the coconut mix in this space. Cover the vessel with lid. Let the steam comes out. Add some salt.mix well using a heavy spoon. Mash the tapioca while mixing. Remove from fire. Heat 1tbsp of oil in a pan, splutter mustard seeds, add curry leaves and dry red chilly. Pour this over prepared kappa.enjoy kappa vevichathu with fish curry.
We had kappa with delicious mathi mappas..here goes the recipe ..
MATHI MAPPAS(SARDINE COOKED IN MILD SPICY COCONUT MILK)
1. Sardine-1/2 kg
2. Onion-1 sliced
3. Ginger -1tbsp julienned
4. Garlic-6pods sliced
5. Green chilly-4nos
6. Chilly powder-1tbsp
7. Coriander powder-2tbsp
8. Turmeric powder-1/2tsp
9. Pepper powder-3/4 tsp
10. Garam masala-1/2tsp
11. Mustard seed-1/4 tsp
12. Fenugreek seeds-1 pinch
13. Cinnamon stick-1small
14. Curry leaves-2sprigs
16. Thin coconut milk-3/4 cup
17. Thick coconut milk-1/2 cup
Method of preparation
1. Wash kudampuli 2 times .then soak this in a ½ cup of water and salt for 10 -15 min.
2. .Clean the fish thoroughly .make 3 or 4 gashes on both sides of the fish.
3. Heat oil in a pan or manchatti.splutter mustard seeds, add fenugreek seeds ,curry leaves and cinnamon stick . Add ingredients2-5 ,sauté until onion turns light brown color.
4. Add in all powders stir for 2min.
5. Add kudampuli along with water. Add thin coconut milk. When it starts boiling add fish and some salt. Cover with lid. Cook on medium flame.
6. When the gravy thickens add thick milk. Heat for a while. Do not let it boil. Add some more curry leaves. switch off the flame.
Serve with kappa or rice.