1. Chena (elephant yam)-2cups,peeled off and cut into small cubes
2. Onion-1no,thinly sliced
3. Chilly powder-1/2tsp
4. Coriander powder-1 ½ tsp
5. Garam masala- 1/2tsp
6. Pepper powder-3/4 tsp
7. Soya sauce-1tsp
10. Mustard seeds-less than 1/4tsp
11. Curry leaves- a few
12. Water-just enough to cover the vegetable.
Method of preparation
1. Combine cubed chena,onion,salt and water. Cook until yam turns soft. Do not overcook it. Drain the excess water after cooking.
2. Heat oil in a pan, splutter mustard seeds. Add curry leaves. Now reduce the flame. Add all powders except pepper powder. Stir for a minute. Add the cooked yam. Mix well. Now add the soya sauce. Give a nice stir. Keep in medium flame until it is well roasted .Stir in between. Lastly add pepper powder.
Serve hot with steamed rice…
Notes : While cleaning and cutting the yam, try to wear gloves or oil your hands since it causes itching.