Making this Vada was purely an experiment. I never thought that I could ever make perfect uzhunnuvada.My husband is a huge lover of this .Upon his compulsion once I tried make it but ended up with soggy ones. I always wanted to make crispy vada which we used to get in shops but I had no idea of the key to make it perfect. But atlast I got it!!! Don’t ask me how J.I made it in my own style .By god’s grace I got it as perfect as those in tea shops, crispy outside and spongy inside.It was a huge hit.Uzhunnavada fan was totally impressed and satisfied. This recipe is going to be a keeper. Let’s impress and surprise your family by this yummy vada J
Shaping Uzhunnuvada is bit difficult. Once we get the batter with right consistency, it would be easy. So here goes the recipe
Urad dal (uzhunnu) – 2cups
Rice flour- 1tbsp and 1 tsp
Onion- 1 small,chopped
Ginger- 1 small piece,chopped
Curry leaves- 2 or 3 sprigs,chopped
Whole black pepper-1 tbsp
Salt- as needed
Oil for deep frying
Method of preparation
1. soak urad dal for 2 or 3 hours. Keep soaked urad dal in a serrated vessel to drain off the water for sometime
2. Grind urad dal in small batches in a mixie (mixer grinder) till we get smooth and fluffy batter. While grinding sprinkle very less water ( 1 tbsp. ).Scrape the batter from the sides of the jar and grind again till it well grinded.(see the below pic to know the consistency of the batter)
3. Once the grinding completed, transfer the batter in to a mixing bowl. Add all other ingredients except oil. Mix well.
4. Heat oil in a deep bottom pan.
5. Wet your palm. Take a small portion of the batter. Shape into vadas.Put a hole with your thumb. Gently slip shaped vadas in to hot oil.
6. Once we put the vada, reduce the flame to medium and cook it for 5 min till it turns crispy and slightly brown in color
Serve hot with chutney or sambar.
Notes : Do not soak the urad dal for more than the mentioned time as it will absorb more water which in turn makes the batter loose.
Add as little water as possible while grinding.
Do not skip adding the rice flour as it is the key ingredient to make the vada crispy
While frying,the flame should be medium.