This is one of Authentic Kerala curry.’VARUTHARACHATHU’ means nothing complicated ,anything cooked in roasted coconut gravy called varutharathu. Here also grated coconut are dry roasted with all other condiments and spices ,then grinded to make the base for the curry. It taste quite different from the usual chicken masala.This curry reflects the real taste of Kerala.
1. Chicken-500gm,cut into medium sized pieces
2. Onion-1big,thinly sliced
3. Tomatoe-1 medium, cubed or sliced
4. Grated coconut-1/2 of one
5. Coriander powder-2tsp,heaped
6. Kashmiri chilly powder-2tsp,levelled
7. Turmeric powder-1/2tsp
8. Whole black pepper-3/4 tblsp
10. Garlic-1 small bulb, chopped
12. Water-1 cup or more
13. Coconut oil-2tblsp
Dry red chilly-2nos
Pearl onions-3 nos,thinly sliced
Curry leaves-a few
Mustard seeds-1/4 tsp
Method of preparation
1. Heat a pan preferably a non stick pan. Add grated coconut, chopped ginger and garlic.Stir this until coconut turns brown. Add in all powders and pepper stir again till coconut -spice mix turns dark brown in color. Switch off the flame. Once this mix has cooled, grind it into smooth paste by adding required water
2. In another pan heat coconut oil. Sauté onion till golden brown. Add tomatoes and cook until it turns mushy. Add grinded coconut mix, water and salt into this. Once the gravy boils, add chicken pieces in. Lower the flame. Cover the pan and cook till chicken has done and gravy thickens.
3. Lastly do the seasoning-For that heat oil in a pan. Splutter mustard seeds, add pearl onions,curry leaves and dry red chillies.Stir for few seconds. Pour this over the prepared curry. Keep it closed for some time.
Enjoy this delicious curry with rice,rotis ,bread…it goes well with anything.