1. Chemmeen-1 cup
2. Rice-1 ½ cup
3. All spices-(cardamom-3nos,cloves-5nos,cinnamom-2 pieces, star anise-1no)
4. Onion-3nos medium sized ,thinly sliced
5. Ginger-1 inch piece, crushed
6. Garlic-1 small bulb, crushed
7. Green chilly-3nos,crushed
9. Thick coconut milk-1/2cup
10. Chilly powde-1tsp
11. Coriander powder-1tsp
12. Turmeric powder-1/4tsp
13. Garam masala-1/2tsp
14. Coriander leaves –a few,chopped
17. Water-2 1/2 cup
Method of preparation
1. Wash and soak rice for 30 minutes. Cook rice by adding all spices, 2 ½ cups of water and salt.
2. For the masala-heat oil in a pan. Add onions. When it turns soft add ginger, garlic and green chilly. Sauté until onion turns brown. Now add all the powders salt and tomatoe.Stir for few minutes. Cover the pan, simmer the flame .when the tomato melts completely, add thick coconut milk and prawns. Let it cook for 5 to 8 minutes. Lastly add some chopped coriander leaves. (If the masala is too dry add little more coconut milk to make it semi thick).
3. For the layering- Take a thick bottomed pan. Keep the masala as the lower layer and cooked rice as the upper layer. Top up with some chopped coriander leaves. Dissolve some turmeric powder in little water. Sprinkle this over the rice. Cover the mouth of the pan with a sheet of aluminum foil and Pour around ½ cup of water over it.(This process helps in even cooking and prevent the masala from sticking to the pan). Now keep the lid on. Cook in low flame for 15minuts or till the water over the foil becomes really hot.(see the pics below)
Open the pot. Now your kitchen will be filled with the wonderful aroma of biriyani.Serve with raitha and papad
Alternative method of dum- Take a pressure cooker. Do the layering.Close with the lid. DO NOT PUT RUBBER GASKET AND WEIGHT.keep in low flame for 15 minutes.
Notes: if you want to make it more flavorful a tbsp of ghee can be added over the rice at the time of layering.