This is one delicious preparation of Okra. Tangy, mild spicy and something truly comforting.
1. Vendakka (Okra)- 12 nos, cut into medium thick round pieces.
2. Mustard seeds- less than ¼ tsp
3. Fenugreek seeds-less than ¼ tsp
4. Dry red chilly- 2 or 3
5. Oil-2 tbsp.
6. Tamarind- gooseberry sized ball, soaked in 1 cup of water
To grind and paste
8. Onion- 1medium, chopped
9. Tomato-2 small, chopped
110 Cumin seeds-1/2tsp
11. Chilly powder-1 tsp
12. Coriander powder-1tsp
13. Sambar powder-1tsp
14. Turmeric powder-1/4tsp
15. Grated coconut-1/4 cup
Method of preparation
1. Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a pan. Splutter cumin seeds. Add onion and sauté until it turns soft. Add tomatoes, salt and all other ingredients given under grind and paste. Cook until tomatoes melts. Keep this mix aside to cool. Grind this into smooth paste by adding some water.
2. Heat remaining oil in same pan or another pan. Splutter mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds. Add dry red chilly. Add in la
3. dies finger. Cover and cook it. Stir in between. Once the ladies fingers are cooked, add in ground paste and tamarind water (1cup). Initially add only ½ cup. Check for tanginess. If you feel the curry needs to be more tangy add the remaining ½ cup.Because the degree of tanginess vary with the tamarind used. I did add the full 1 cup of pulp to get the right sourness. So add accordingly. If the curry is too thick, more water can be added. Check for saltiness. Let the curry boils for few minutes.
Switch off the flame. Serve with rice ..