If you are looking for some quick one pot meal this is the best option. Kichdi is a North Indian dish made with rice and dal flavored with some spices. I must admit the one I prepared here is not authentic as the original kichdi is much mushier. Since both of us do not prefer to have over cooked rice I tried this way and enjoyed it a lot, but if you love to cook the original one please check notes below.
- Basmathi rice-1 cup
- Red masoor dal-1/2 cup
- Whole spices-cloves(4nos)cardamom(3nos)cinnamon(2 small sticks)star anise(1no)
- Onion-1 small
- Green chilly-1no
- Ginger-1/2”inch piece
- Tomato-2 small
- Chilly powder-1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder-1/4 tsp
- Garam masala-3/4 tsp
- Water-2 ½ cup
Method of preparation
1. Wash rice and dal.Soak it for 20 minutes.
2. Finely chop all veggies..
3. Heat oil in a pressure cooker. Add all the spices sauté for a minute.
4. Now add chopped ginger, garlic, green chilly and onion. Sauté until onion turns transparent.
5. Add tomatoes .Let it cook for 2 minute. Add all powders and salt. Stir for a minute.
6. Add water. When it boils add rice and dal.Give a nice stir.
7. Close the cooker. When the steam comes through the nozzle keep the wait on.You can hear the first whistle within 5 minute. Switch off the flame. Wait for 1minute.
8. Carefully lift the wait to let the steam escapes (do not take it off from the lid,just lift it).when the entire steam release out and the shhhhhhh sound stop remove the wait ,open the cooker .Gently stir rice with a fork or spoon taking care not to break the rice.
Serve hot with raitha or pickle.
NOTES: Mushy version- increase water quantity by 3 ½ cup.Follow the same instructions upto step 6.Cook until 3 whistles. Here you don’t need to do the activities of step 8 .Let the steam escapes by itself.
For variations vegetables like carrot,beans ,potatoes etc can be added.
FOOD CORNER, COOKING WITH SEEDS by Priya's versatile recipes